Fun times here in the Goodwin household! It's net worth update time! I'm trying to get more regular around here again as big things are happening, but, here is an update from March 2016 to June 2016.
March to June sure was a busy time in our household! We took a couple vacations, are preparing for a big change coming at the end of July, socking lots of money into retirement and have been working on replenishing our emergency fund with what's left over (hopefully we'll have some exciting news here soon!).
Net Worth - June 2016
- Home Value - $160,000 - Holding on to this number since our appraisal was done before our refinance (August 2014). Since our last update, we have put in a back up sump pump. Might be time to get another appraisal done to update this number?
- 401k - Contribution growth has actually only played about a third of the growth here. But I think we were in a lower market and things have moved up since. Plus, Jenni is now receiving the match since she has been in the new position for over a year (Yay for free money!)
- IRA - This one is all due to the recent uptick in the market for us. We have this tucked into the S&P 500 index fund and will continue to let it just do it's job.
- HSA - We have started getting a few things taken care of here so we have been using up this account. We are still contributing to it monthly though.
- Auto Value - Still no payments here, although we do drive a lot, so we have eroded some value off here. Nothing I'm too worried about since we don't tie up much of our net worth in vehicles.
- Cash Money - Honestly, our cash value here is just because I haven't had a chance to budget through our final check that just got deposited, but a chunk of it will be going into our emergency fund since it's a bonus check for us. Plus, this time of year, we have some sinking funds that are built up since the payments they are accumulating for are getting bigger. Sinking funds allow us to smooth out our expenses over the year so no one big expense hits us that hard.
- Savings - This number is still building back up towards our original fund balance. We are hoping to complete this very soon, more details to follow in the near future. We continue to chunk money in here as we can, but it's been a little slower. It will be nice to get this step completed again!
- Home Mortgage - We keep seeing small chunks eat into this mortgage. We continue to just make the minimum payments, but with only having a 20 year mortgage, this moves down pretty quickly. This past month, our principal just topped $410! When we started, this number was only about $380, so that's extra money going towards our mortgage each month!
Take Away for the Month
Big changes are coming! We are excited for them. We haven't seemed to grow quite as fast as we like, but this is a marathon, not a sprint! Car values have dropped a bit, but that's just something that happens when you drive vehicles like we do. Our HSA account is there to help take care of medical needs, so this is no surprise that this fluctuates like this.
How did your June end up?
Latest posts by Steven Goodwin (see all)
- March 2017 – $107,176.04 – Net Worth Update (+$2,196.45) - April 5, 2017
- Some Tips I Learned From Our First Family Weekend Getaway of 2017 - March 29, 2017
- It Is Only Money and It Grows on Trees! by Cara MacMillan: My Thoughts - March 22, 2017
- Online Entrepreneurship & Side Hustles: So Many Lessons, So Little Time - March 15, 2017